March 1, 2019: A weekly scan of new legislation and regulations important to the Ontario health sector, as well as articles of interest.
Bill 74, The People’s Health Care Act, 2019
This Bill was introduced by Hon. Christine Elliot, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care. It was carried on First Reading.
Bill 74 enacts the Connecting Care Act, 2019. If passed, the legislation will significantly change the Ontario’s health care system. This Act would consolidate multiple health care agencies and organizations within a single agency, Ontario Health, to oversee health care delivery, and provide clinical guidance and support to enable better quality care. Ontario Health would be created by dissolving and amalgamating the following organizations:
- Cancer Care Ontario
- eHealth Ontario
- HealthForceOntario Marketing and Recruitment Agency
- Health Shared Services Ontario
- Ontario Health Quality Council
- Trillium Gift of Life Network
- Any LHINs
- Any other prescribed organization that receives funding from the Ministry or Ontario Health, and that provides programs/services that are consistent with the objects of Ontario Health.
The Minister will be given very broad powers to integrate the health system through integration orders; dissolve organizations; and transfer assets, liabilities, rights, obligations and employees of certain organizations to Ontario Health.
The Bill amends the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Act to provide for an Indigenous health council and a French language health services advisory council to advise the Minister.
A number of other Acts and regulations will be amended or repealed:
- Broader Public Sector Accountability Act, 2010
- Excellent Care for All Act, 2010
- Health Protection and Promotion Act
- Home Care and Community Services Act, 1994
- Local Health System Integration Act, 2006
- Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007
- Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004
- Public Hospitals Act
- Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017
- Substitute Decisions Act, 1992
- Trillium Gift of Life Network Act
- Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, 2010
- Patients First Act, 2016
- Strengthening Quality and Accountability for Patients Act, 2017.
Please note the above list is not exhaustive.
No new and approve regulations of interest.
Articles of Interest
Health Care System