June 3, 2019: A weekly scan of new legislation and regulations important to the Ontario health sector, as well as articles of interest.
Bill 116, Foundations for Promoting and Protecting Mental Health and Addictions Services Act, 2019
This Bill introduced by Hon. Christine Elliott, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care was carried on First Reading. The Bill enacts two Schedules:
- Schedule 1 – Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence Act, 2019
- Ontario Health shall establish and maintain within Ontario Health, a Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence.
- Schedule 2 – Opioid Damages and Health Care Costs Recovery Act, 2019
- This Schedule enacts the Opioid Damages and Health Care Costs Recovery Act, 2019 and makes a complementary amendment to the Limitations Act, 2002
- The Act give Ontario a direct and distinct action against manufacturers and wholesalers of opioid products to recover costs of health care benefits caused or contributed by an opioid-related wrong.
- Ontario can recover the cost of health care benefits with respect to particular individual insured persons or on an aggregate basis, with respect to a population of insured persons.
- The Act also changes the rules with respect to the limitation periods. Section 6 of the Act permits an action for damages or for recovery of the cost of of health care benefits, alleged to have been caused or contributed by an opioid-related wrong, to be commenced by Ontario before, or within 15 years after, that section comes into force.
Proposed and Approved Regulations
No new and approved regulations of interest.
Articles of Interest
Ontario Health Teams