October 18, 2019: A weekly scan of new legislation and regulations important to the Ontario health sector, as well as articles of interest.
The Ontario Legislature has adjourned until October 28, 2019.
Proposed and Approved Regulations
O. REG 275/94
The proposed amendments to Part III (Controlled Acts) and Part V (Delegation) under the Nursing Act, 1991 include:
- Specifying the conditions that registered nurses (“RNs”) must meet to prescribe and communicate a diagnosis for the purpose of prescribing; drugs and drug categories from which RNs can prescribe; and practice expectations and parameters which RNs are permitted to prescribe.
- Providing RNs with authority to dispense and administer any medication they are authorized to prescribe.
- Providing RNs and registered practical nurses (“RPNS”) with authority to dispense and administer any medication that is prescribed by a RN who is authorized to prescribe.
- Completing additional education that is approved by the College’s Council in order for a RN to prescribe drugs and to communicate a diagnosis for the purpose of prescribing.
Comments deadline: November 17, 2019
More Information: https://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=30571&language=en
O. Reg 275/94
College of Nurses of Ontario are proposing amendments to the regulation, which will allow RNs and RPNs to independently initiate the controlled act of psychotherapy without an order from a physician or nurse practitioner after Dec 31, 2019 if they meet the conditions of the regulation. These conditions, include but are not limited to:
- RN or RPN having the knowledge, skill and judgment to safely perform the controlled act and that the RN or RPN has determined the individual’s condition warrants performance of the controlled act.
- RNs and RPNs are responsible for adhering to the standards of the profession in all aspects of their practice and this expectation will continue to apply to RNS and RPNs performing the controlled act of psychotherapy.
The amendments are intended to ensure patients receiving psychotherapeutic services from RNs and RPNs have continued access to care.
Comments Deadline: November 17, 2019
More Information: https://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=30587&language=en
Ontario Providing More Support for Hospitals
Ontario Expanding Home and Community Care in York Region
Ontario Expands Support for Addictions Treatment in Kitchener
Palliative care hotline coming as part of new Guelph health team
Headwaters hospital hires interim CEO Kim Delahunt after departure of Stacey Daub
Articles of Interest
Ontario Cannabis Store considers private sector involvement in pot distribution
Why Ontario smokers still flock to the black market 1 year into pot legalization
Cannabis edibles are now legal: Everything you need to know
Ontario government gives small and medium-sized hospitals more funding
‘Street valium’ deaths prompt public health warnings
Man shocked he had to pay OHIP for hospital stay after winning lawsuit
Religious vaccine objections can’t be traced to biblical sources, scholars say
Explainer: Where the major federal parties stand on health care
Make sure you know where to vote on October 21. Here’s how.
Things to do this Weekend
Things to do this weekend in Toronto