1. Bill 230, Front-line and Essential Service Worker Week Act, 2020
This Bill was introduced Kaleed Rasheed (Mississauga East – Cooksville), Government. It was carried on first reading on November 16, 2020.
- Designates the third full week of March as “Front-line and Essential Service Worker Week”
2. Bill 231, Protecting Ontarians by Enhancing Gas Station Safety to Prevent Gas and Dash Act, 2020
This Bill was introduced by Deepak Anand (Mississauga-Malton), Government. It was introduced on November 16, 2020 and was Ordered referred to the Standing Committee on Justice Policy on November 18, 2020.
Highlights: This Bill would amend the Occupational Health and Safety Act to:
- Requires employers to require mandatory prepay before being given gasoline; replace any pumps not capable of prepay
- Requires employers to give notice of new mandatory prepay requirement
- Requires employers to provide training to workers involved in sale of gasoline
3. Bill 233, Improving Access to Health Care Act, 2020
This Bill was introduced by France Gélinas (Nickel Belt) and Jill Andrew (Toronto – St. Paul’s), Opposition. It was carried on first reading on November 19, 2020.
- Amends various Acts to require the making of specified instruments in order to implement the recommendations set out in the “Clinical Handbook for Sickle Cell Disease Vaso-occlusive Crisis”, published by the Provincial Council for Maternal and Child Health and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
- Connecting Care Act, 2019: requires Minister of Health to conduct reviews to determine whether health care funding is sufficient for patients with sickle cell disease and for communities impacted by the disease.
- Local Health System Integration Act, 2006: Minister of Health shall issue provincial standards on sickle cell disease.
- Public Hospitals Act: Minister of Health shall issue directives respecting sickle cell disease.
- Anti-Racism Act, 2017: Ministry of Health, Ministry of Long-Term Care and Ontario Health to collect race related information from patients
No new and approved regulations of interest.
Ontario Taking Further Action to Stop the Spread of COVID-19
Province Approves 13 New Ontario Health Teams
Ontario Adding 3,000 New and Upgraded Long-term Care Spaces
Ontario Increases Funding to Renew and Modernize Colleges and Universities
Ontario Supporting Small Businesses with Financial Advice and Training
Ontario Increasing Employment Opportunities for People with Disabilities
Ontario Launching New Agency to Centralize Government Procurement
Ontario Expanding Mobile Crisis Services to Respond to Mental Health Emergencies
Ontario Opens COVID-19 Resilience Infrastructure Stream for Municipalities
New Inquest Date into the Deaths of Fayzullo Fazilov, Alexsandrs Bondarevs, Vladimir Korostin and Aleksey Blumberg Announced
Articles of Interest
Covid vaccine: Pfizer applies for first approval in US
Pfizer files for emergency use of coronavirus vaccine in U.S. — what about in Canada?
Canada secures ultra-cold freezers for Pfizer, Moderna COVID vaccines
Toronto and Peel Region to move into ‘lockdown’ Monday as Ontario tries to fend off ‘worst-case scenario’
Advocates brace for ‘poorer health outcomes’ in areas hard-hit by COVID-19
The third wave: The shortage of health-care workers because they are too burnt out or sick themselves
Majority of travellers entering Canada during COVID-19 given OK to not quarantine
Manitoba’s ‘amazing’ new pandemic restrictions will take time to show effect: Dr. Theresa Tam
B.C.’s mask mandate an about-face in a province struggling to replicate its 1st wave success
WHO advises against treating hospitalized COVID-19 patients with remdesivir
Sweden finds coronavirus in mink industry workers
Ex-health minister Philpott says federal government should back drug decriminalization in Vancouver
Health Canada warns against UV products that falsely claim to kill COVID-19 virus
Vancouver to seek federal approval to decriminalize simple possession of illicit drugs
New data paints picture of how Canadian health care changed as the COVID-19 pandemic took hold
Ontario hospitals face ‘unprecedented’ financial pressure, need funding: association says
Advocacy and Racial Justice
‘We need a radical change’: Toronto-area students stage walkout to protest racism
Demonstration for Black, Indigenous lives set up at Ottawa Intersection
Motion on racial awareness debated in P.E.I. Legislature
Data, Privacy and AI
New proposed law to better protect Canadians’ privacy and increase their control over their data and personal information
Statement from the Privacy Commissioner of Canada following the tabling of Bill C-11
(INQ Data Law Commentary) Privacy Law for the Digital Economy: The new Digital Charter Implementation Act
A new privacy bill for our age (Bill C-11 Commentary)
Raptors denied request to play home games in Toronto, will begin season in Tampa
Things to Do this Weekend
Things to do this weekend in Toronto
Delicious cookie recipes