December 21, 2017: A weekly scan of new legislation and regulations important to the Ontario health sector, as well as articles of interest.
The Ontario Legislature has adjourned until February 20, 2018.
1. Ontario Regulation 386/99 – Provision of Community Services
The Ministry is proposing to amend the current service maximums set out under O.REG 386/99 by:
- Increasing current service maximums for homemaking and personal support services
- Permitting LHINS to exceed service maximum when the LHIN determines there are extraordinary circumstances that justify providing additional homemaking and personal support services and nursing for clients with complex needs
- Defining complex needs
Comments Due: January 30, 2018
For more information: Proposed Regulatory Amendment to Ontario Regulation
2. Monitoring of Medical Assistance in Dying Regulations
The proposed regulations were released on Dec 16, 2017 in the Canada Gazette, Part I. The proposed regulations would:
- Support public accountability and transparency in relation to MAID;
- Support the protection of vulnerable individuals by monitoring the application of the eligibility criteria and safeguards required by the legislation;
- Identify and monitor trends in request for, and the provision of, MAID;
- Help determine whether the legislation is meeting its objectives; and
- Make data available to qualified researchers for the purpose of enabling independent analysis and research.
Comments Due: Feb 14, 2018 (60 days from when the this notice was published)
For proposed regulatory text and more information:
Articles of Interest
What’s happening in our city this weekend: