February 2, 2018: A weekly scan of new legislation and regulations important to the Ontario health sector, as well as articles of interest.
The Ontario Legislature has adjourned until February 20, 2018.
- O.REG 445/10: General, Excellent Care for All Act, 2010 (ECFAA)
This proposed amending regulation is intended to enable HQO to collect, use, and disclose PHI for 2 purposes:
- Collecting stories from patients and caregivers relating to their personal experiences in the health care system, and publishing those stories in various places, including on HQO’s website, yearly reports and other publications; and
- Facilitating the participation of patients and caregivers in public engagement initiatives; specifically HQO’s Patient, Family and Public Advisors Council and the Patient, Family, and Public Advisors Network.
HQO would be prohibited from:
- collecting, using or disclosing PHI unless it first obtains the express written consent of the person whom the PHI relates or that person’s substitute decision maker;
- collecting an individual’s PHI indirectly through a third party such as a health service organization; and
- collecting, using or disclosing PHI if other information will serve the purpose, and from collecting, using or disclosing more PHI than is reasonably necessary.
The HQO Board Chair term limit will be amended to allow for an HQO board member who is designated as chair to be appointed for 1 additional term of up to 3 years, resulting in a maximum length of service on the board of 9 years.
Comments Due: March 1, 2018
- Regulation 552: General, Health Insurance Act (HIS)
This proposed regulation would amend Regulation 552 to make it clear that an insured person receiving in-patient services at a private hospital is entitled to receive accommodation and meals at the standard or public ward level at no extra charge.
Comments Due: March 13, 2018
Articles of Interest