July 20, 2018: A weekly scan of new legislation and regulations important to the Ontario health sector, as well as articles of interest.
Bill 3, Compassionate Care Act, 2017
This Bill was reintroduced to establish a provincial framework to support improved access to hospice palliative care. This Bill enacts the Compassionate Care Act, 2017, which requires the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care to develop the provincial framework. The Act requires the Minister to set out the provincial framework one year after the Bill comes into force, and within 5 years after the report is tabled, the Minister must prepare and table a report on the state of hospice palliative care, which should be published on a Government of Ontario website.
Introduced by Sam Oosterhoff, MPP (Niagara West), Government, the Bill was carried on First Reading on July 18, 2018.
The following regulations all came into effect on July 1, 2018.
- Amendments to O.REG 79/10 under the LTCHA, 2007
The following amendments were approved and filed:
- Introduction of administrative monetary penalties and re-inspection fee
- Technical amendments related to the posting of a Director’s contact information and declaration of cannabis-related offences under applicable federal law by long-term care staff and volunteers
- Regulation 552: General, Health Insurance Act
Regulation 552 is amended to make it clear that an insured person receiving in-patient services at a private hospital is entitled to receive accommodation and meals at the standard or public ward level at no extra charge.
- Regulation 38/18 – Improvements to the Ministry of Transportation’s Medical Reporting Program
Regulation 38/18 amended the mandatory reporting requirements to provide clear direction to the medical community on what types of conditions of patients, 16 years of age or older, must be reported to the Ministry of Transportation.
- Regulation 268/18 made under the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017
This regulation responds to the changing landscape related to tobacco, vapour products and medical cannabis.
Articles of Interest
What’s happening in our city this weekend: