Employers are required under the Ontario Employment Standards Act, 2000 to display the most recent version of the Ontario Ministry of Labour’s (“MOL”) poster “What You Should Know About the Ontario Employment Standards Act“, in at least one conspicuous location in the workplace.
In June, 2014 the MOL published a new version of the Employment Standards Poster (version 5.0). All workplaces are required to remove the former version and replace it with version 5.0. The poster must be printed on legal size (8 ½” x 14”) paper and in color or black and white.
The poster is free and available online.
Set out below is a summary of other workplace posting requirements for Ontario employers
Employers must post:
- A copy of their Occupational Health and Safety Policy. A good example of a health and safety policy can be found on the Ministry of Labour’s Website.
- A copy of the Occupational Health and Safety Act. Employers can obtain a free copy of the Act or purchase a copy of it at ServiceOntario Publications for $8.00.
- Their workplace violence and harassment policies (in a workplace that has five or more employees).
- The names of joint health and safety committee members and their work locations (in a workplace that has 20 more employees regularly employed).
- As of October 1, 2012 – the poster “Health & Safety at Work – Prevention Starts Here“
The “In case of Injury—1234” poster must be prominently displayed in every workplace covered by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.
The poster is provided free of charge to employers covered by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.
All employers are required to post No Smoking signs at all entrances, exits, washrooms and other enclosed work locations in order to ensure that everyone knows that smoking is prohibited. No Smoking signs can be obtained from your local public health unit in your area. Click here to find your local public health unit.
For further information please contact our Senior Human Resources Counsel, Maria McDonald at 416.967.7100 x228 or email@example.com.